WotLK: Build 8820 – Mage Glyphs
Woops! I forgot to give credit to MMO-Champion for this quick up to date news. They also provided us with an updated Talent Calculator to reflect the changes in the WotLK Beta Build 8820: Talent Calculator
- Glyph of Fireball – Increases the initial damage dealt by Fireball by 5%, but removes the damage over time effect.
- Glyph of Fireblast – Increases the critical strike chance of Fireblast by 50% when the target is stunned or incapacitated.
- Glyph of Frost Nova – Your Frost Nova targets can take an additional 20% damage before the Frost Nova effect automatically breaks.
- Glyph of Frostbolt – Increases the damage dealt by Frostbolt by 5%, but removes the slowing effect.
- Glyph of Ice Armor – Your Ice Armor and Frost Armor spells grant an additional 20% armor and resistance.
- Glyph of Ice Block – Your Frost Nova cooldown is now reset every time you use Ice Block.
- Glyph of Ice Lance – Increases the range of your Ice Lance by 5 yards.
- Glyph of Icy Veins – Your Icy Veins ability also removes all movement slowing and cast time slowing effects.
- Glyph of Improved Scorch – The Improved Scorch talent now generates 5 applications of the Improved Scorch effect each time Scorch is cast.
- Glyph of Invisibility – Increases the duration of the Invisibility effect by 5 sec.
- Glyph of Mage Armor – Your Mage Armor spell grants an additional 20% mana regeneration while casting.
- Glyph of Mana Gem – Increases the mana recieved from using a mana gem by 10%.
- Glyph of Molten Armor – Your Molten Armor spell grants an additional 2% critical strike chance.
- Glyph of Polymorph – Your Polymorph spell also removes all damage over time effects from the target.
- Glyph of Remove Curse – Your Remove Curse spell also makes the target immune to all Curses for 6 sec.
- Glyph of Water Elemental – Reduces the cooldown of your Summon Water Elemental spell by 30 sec.
- Glyph of the Penguin – Empowers a Minor Glyph to cause your Polymorph: Sheep spell to turn the target into a baby penguin.
Now we get a chance to look at what Inscriptions will give to Mages in WotLK, and they all look pretty good at first glance. There are some which give a boost in PvE and some good for PvP and some are just good all around.
For PvE, a plus +5% bonus to Frostbolt and Fireball at the cost of losing the slowing effect and dot. For Frost Mages this is a big plus in raiding where bosses aren’t slowable by Frost Spells anyways. An extra 20% Mana regen from Mage Armor to help out the Arcane Mages, and an extra 2% Spell Crit on Molten Armor for Frost and Fire Mages. Cooldown reduction on Water Elemental by 30 seconds, and Improved Scorch stacking 5 at once are both good too. Polymorph removing dots! No more broken sheeps in raids due to mis-dotting Priests and Warlocks.
For PvP, an extra 5 yard range on Ice Lance gives it a 41 yard range with talents. Ice Armor gives an extra 20% armor. Icy Veins removes slowing effects on you will also help a lot in PvP.
Then there are Glyphs that are just good all around. Extra mana return on Mana Gems, immunity to curses after a decurse, and of course Polymorph: Penguin, can’t forget that one!