The notes for Patch 3.0.9 has been released on MMO-Champion.com, and this patch WILL go live this week!
The Arcane Tree has seen quite a few bit of changing in the last couple patches, and for this patch, we will only see changes to the Arcane Tree and Arcane Glyphs. No love (or hate) for the other trees yet. Here is a list of changes:
- Arcane Power now increases damage and mana cost by 10%, cooldown reduced to 1 minute.
- Arcane Power and Presence of Mind now share a category cooldown. Arcane Power causes a 15 second cooldown. Presence of Mind, once consumed, causes a 1.5 second cooldown.
- Arcane Flows now reduces the cooldown of Presence of Mind, Arcane Power and Invisibility by 15/30%.
- Presence of Mind: The cooldown has been reduced to 2 minutes, (down from 3.)
- Slow: now increases cast time by 30%, down from 60%.
- Glyph of Arcane Missiles: Increases the critical strike damage bonus of Arcane Missiles by 25%. (Old - Increases the range of Arcane Missiles by 5 yards.)
- Glyph of Mana Gem: Increases the mana recieved from using a mana gem by 40%. (Up from 10%)
- Glyph of Arcane Blast: Increases the damage from your Arcane Blast buff by 3%. (Down from 5%)
Undocumented Changes (updated 2/11/09)
The End of AP + PoM Pyro?
With Arcane Power and Presence of Mind now sharing a category cooldown, you won’t see Arcane Mages in PvP throwing out an instant cast Pyroblast anymore. Or will they? With the new changes, when you activate Arcane Power, it will put a 15 second cooldown on Presence of Mind. The duration of Arcane Power is, 15 seconds.
However if you use the [Glyph of Arcane Power], it will increase the duration by 3 seconds, making Arcane Power last 18 seconds, giving you 3 seconds to bust out a PoM + Pyro. That is assuming that cooldown on PoM doesn’t change to 18 seconds also with the glyph, but we’ll see.
New Arcane Flows Cooldowns
- Slow is less effective against other casters, increasing their cast time by 30% instead of 60%.
- [Glyph of Arcane Blast] now increases buff by 3% instead of 5%.
- Evocation is no longer receives a 2 minute reduction on its cooldown by Arcane Flows.
- Less burst damage from Arcane Power
- More sustained damage from Arcane Power
- Lower cooldowns on Arcane Power, Invisibility, and Presence of Mind
- [Glyph of Mana Gem] will be 40% instead of 10%.
- [Glyph of Arcane Missiles] has been buffed to increase critical strike damage of Arcane Missiles by 25% instead of increasing range.
This is Blizzard’s answer to nerfing Arcane Mage’s burst damage in PvP, without hurting PvE too much. I think they’ve done a nice job at it. In PvP, I often see Arcane Mages wtfpwn some poor fella within a few seconds. In PvE, I usually see Arcane Mages lighting up the DPS meters at the first half of the fight, then slowly trail off towards the end. We’ll see how these changes goes.
This also gives me a promising look at how Blizzard may be able to make changes to the other two trees in the future. To be able to make changes in PvE without drastically changing PvP and vice versa.
[Image at the top: Forsaken Mage by Xadhoom]
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.