Frost Mage PvE: Lady Deathwhisper
“The lich Lady Deathwhisper is the Supreme Overseer of the Cult of the Damned and the second boss of the Icecrown Citadel raid.” – WoWWiki.com
If you were a Sunwell Plateau raider back in the Burning Crusade, you will find this boss encounter very similar to the M’uru fight. Also much like the M’uru fight, this encounter will test your raid’s coordination and teamwork.
You will have to deal with waves and waves of adds while DPSing down Lady Deathwhisper’s Mana Shield. Not only that, you will have to deal with raid damage and crowd control. Sounds fun right?
- Hit Points – 3,000,000 (10man), 13,400,000 (25man)
- Mana – 3,300,000 (10man), 14,000,000 (25man)
- 10 Minute Enrage Timer
Phase One Abilities:
- Mana Barrier: Absorbs all damage done to Lady Deathwhisper, draining her mana instead.
- Shadow Bolt: Inflicts 7,438 to 9,562 (9k-11k on 25man) Shadow damage to the current target.
- Death and Decay: Inflicts 4,500 (6k on 25man) Shadow damage every 1 second to enemies within the area of the spell. The entire spell lasts 10 seconds.
- Dominate Mind: Mind Controls 1 player, increasing their damage by 200% and healing by 500%. Lasts 12 seconds. (25man only)
- Dark Empowerment: Empowers a random Adherent or Fanatic, causing them to deal area damage with spells. Also makes the target immune to interrupts.
Phase Two Abilities:
- Frostbolt: Inflicts 40,950 to 43,050 Frost damage to the current target. Can be interrupted.
- Touch of Insignificance: Reduces the target’s threat generation by 20% per application. Stacks up to 5 times.
- Death and Decay: Inflicts 4,500 Shadow damage every 1 second to enemies within the area of the spell. The entire spell lasts 10 seconds.
This is a complex fight with a lot of target switching, interrupting, crowd controlling, and a lot of raid awareness. You would want any consumables which may help your DPS.
Frost Mage Overview:
- Pet Friendly: Friendly
- Cooldowns: You will not have to save your Ice Blocks or Cold Snap for anything, so use it for emergencies.
Your Water Elemental will have a 80% damage reduction to AoE damage so you don’t have to worry about moving him around to avoid Death and Decay. Just keep him on Lady Deathwhisper the entire time to take down the Mana Barrier faster.
With all the target switching the entire fight, it’ll be hard to save your Deep Freezes for the boss. It would be a waste to cast it on an add, and it would be a waste of time to switch back to the boss to cast Deep Freeze, then switch back. Unless you use this handy macro I made by modifying a Sheeping macro I’ve been using.
#showtooltip Deep Freeze
/cast [target=focus,exists,harm] Deep Freeze
Now whenever Fingers of Frost procs, and Deep Freeze is off cooldown, you can throw a Deep Freeze on Lady Deathwhisper without having to switch your target. You don’t have to be facing her to cast it either, just stand within range of Deep Freeze’s 36yd range.
Just make sure you make Lady Deathwhisper your focus target before the fight.
During Phase One, there will be waves of adds that will enter from the sides of the room. In 10man, they will spawn from only one side at a time, alternating. In 25man, they spawn from both sides at the same time. In both version, there is one additional add that spawns from the stairs where you enter the room. This makes 4 adds per wave for 10man, and 7 adds per wave for 25man.
The raid’s priority should be taking down all the adds as soon as possible before switching back onto Lady Deathwhisper. Sometimes a person or two will be dedicated to DPSing Lady Deathwhisper the entire time to bring her into Phase Two faster, but having the entire raid focusing on adds first, is much safer.
These adds you should NOT be DPSing. They will be handled by the Physical DPS in your raid for these reasons:
- Shroud of the Occult: Deflects all harmful spells back to their caster. Also prevents cast interrupting. Absorbs 50,000 damage before breaking.
- Adherent’s Determination: Grants the Adherent 99% spell damage reduction. Used when Reanimated.
These are the adds you will be focusing on. Fanatics will be you main priority, with Reanimated Fanatics being your top priority. They will also cast Vampiric Might on themselves- make sure you Spellsteal that buff!
Killing Fanatics take priority over DPSing the boss. The faster they are killed, the more time you can switch back onto the boss and keep DPSing. Have a macro set up for quick switching:
/target Cult Fanatic
Just make sure to give your tank a few seconds to pick up the add before you blow him up. They hit pretty hard, and can kill you in a few hits.
Decursing / Sheeping
During Phase One, the Adherent adds will also cast Curse of Turpor on random raid members. Make sure you decurse them as soon as you can. If it is on you AND another person, make sure you decurse yourself first. If not, that curse will put a 15 second cooldown on your Remove Curse ability.
During 25man, Lady Deathwhisper will randomly mind control a raid member. It will be your job to Polymorph that person as quickly as possible too.
Highly Recommended: Decursive Mod
When her Mana Barrier is depleted, she will move from her spot, and no more adds will spawn. Spread out all around her and DPS. Make you throw out a Counterspell whenever you can while she is casting Frostbolt. They hit very hard.
There will be ghosts which spawn from the corpse of the Adherent and Fanatic adds. If you see a ghost following you, run away. When they explode, it hurts.
Keep Ice Barrier up, and don’t stand in the Death and Decay. Make sure all the Cult Fanatics are dead before switching back to the boss.
This fight is all about execution. If the raid does everything correctly, this fight will be very easy. Pay attention to your surroundings, and listen to vent for when your tank calls out for DPS. They will usually call out when there is a Reanimated Adherent or Fanatic, so be sure to listen if caster DPS is called for.
- [Scourgelord's Baton] (10N)
- [Sister's Handshrouds] (10N)
- [Bracers of Dark Blessings] (10N)
- [Nibelung] (25N)
- [The Lady's Brittle Bracers] (25N)
- [Shoulders of Mercy Killing] (25N)
- [Ring of Maddening Whispers] (25N)
- [Bracers of Dark Blessings](H) (10H)
- [Scourgelord's Baton](H) (10H)
- [Sister's Handshrouds](H) (10H)
- [Nibelung](H) (25H)
- [The Lady's Brittle Bracers](H) (25H)
- [Shoulders of Mercy Killing](H) (25H)
- [Ring of Maddening Whispers](H) (25H)
Lots of good loot from this boss. The shoulders I would pass because you would want the Tier 10 shoulders. The Bracers of Dark Blessings I would pass to healers if they wanted it. Everything else I would go for.
[Image was taken from WoWHead.com]