Kologarn is considered sixth boss encounter in Ulduar, after you have defeated XT-002 Deconstructor, and gain access to the Antichamber. He is the only non-optional boss in the Antichamber because he guards the Shattered Walkway into central Ulduar where not only is he protecting the bridge, he is the bridge.
He is a huge Titan boss, but you only fight his body from the torso, and up. Each of his arms are separate targets, and have their own health. Kologarn is often misquoted to be Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. His quotes are actually from the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- Hit Points – 3,600,000 (normal), 15,340,000 (heroic)
- No Enrage Timer
- Focused Eyebeam: Shoots 2 beams from his eyes simultaneously, each inflicting 2,775 to 3,225 Nature damage, and follows their targets.
- Overhead Smash: Inflicts physical damage and applies stacking Crunch Armor, which reduces the target’s armor by 25% for 45 seconds.
- One-Armed Overhead Smash: Inflicts physical damage and applies stacking Crunch Armor, which reduces the target’s armor by 25% for 45 seconds. Cast when one arm is destroyed.
- Stone Shout: A raid-wide shout, which inflicts 1,084 to 1,216 Physical damage. Cast if both of the arms are dead.
- Petrifying Breathe: Inflicts 14,063 to 15,937 Nature damage every 1 second, and applies Brittle Skin, which increases damage taken by 20% for 8 seconds. Cast if there are no targets in melee range.
- Stone Grip: Grabs 1 target, incapacitating them and inflicting 3,700 to 4,300 Physical damage every 1 second, until they are freed. The Arm can sustain 100,000 damage before it releases its target. Used only by his Right Arm.
- Shockwave: Inflicts 8,788 to 10,212 Nature damage to the whole raid. Used only by his Left Arm.
- [Flask of the Frost Wyrm]
- Spell Damage food of your choice or Feast
This is a simple fight with a bit of target switching, and a bit of AoEing. You would want any consumables which may help your DPS.
Frost Mage Overview:
- Pet Friendly: Friendly
- Cooldowns: You may want to save your Ice Blocks, and Cold Snap for when you get targeted by the Eye Beams.
Your Water Elemental won’t be targeted by any of Kologarn’s attacks but can be attacked by the spawns. They will be picked up by a tank so you shouldn’t have to worry about that. Your pet’s Freeze ability will come in handy to freeze all the adds together once the tank grabs aggro on them.
Kologarn’s Eye Beam
During the fight Kologarn will target a random raid member and shoot two Eye Beams at you. You can tell who the target is by seeing where the two beams first land. If there is a beam to the left and one to the right of you, then start running, the target is you! It’s like Felmyst all over again.
As a Mage, you can simply Blink away, and have a head start at kiting the beams. The beams moves a little bit slower than running speed, so kiting them shouldn’t be hard. As a Frost Mage, you can position yourself anywhere in the room (like in a corner), and if you get targeted, instead of causing panic and kiting through other players, you can simply Ice Block the beam, and the beam will stay on you without doing any damage.
Occasionally Kologarn’s Right Arm will grab a random raid member (3 on Heroic Mode), and in order to free that person, the raid will need to inflict a certain amount of damage to the arm. 100,000 damage on Normal Mode and 480,000 damage on Heroic Mode. You CANNOT Ice Block if you get grabbed.
The raid will be attacking the Right Arm everytime it is up anyways, so it won’t be a problem to free anyone who gets grabbed. Everytime the arm is killed, Kolgarn main body loses health equal to the arm’s health (550,000 health on Normal Mode and 2,300,000 health on Heroic Mode).
Kologarn’s Left Arm is usually ignored, and the damage it does can be healed through. The Raid Leader may at some point call DPS on the Left Arm if he sees that the health is low from incidental AoEing.
Whenever an arm is destroyed, Kologarn will spawn a set of around 5 adds. The adds have around 52,000 health on Normal Mode and 130,000 health on Heroic Mode each. After the tank grabs the adds, you can start AoEing the adds down.
As a Frost Mage with Improved Blizzard and Frostbite, you can easily AoE the adds early and safely. It should only take one Blizzard with the help of the rest of the raid members to kill all the adds.
Kill the Right Arm, kill the adds, attack his main body, then back onto his Right Arm when it respawns. Rinse and Repeat. Collect loot. Heroic Mode is pretty much the same as Normal Mode, except his attacks do more damage, and Kologarn has more health.
- [Pendant of Piercing Glare]
- [Emerald Signet Ring]
- [Spark of Hope]
- [Bracer of Unleashed Magic] (heroic)
- [Robes of Umbral Brute] (heroic)
- [Ironmender] (heroic)
- [Handwraps of Plentiful Recovery] (heroic)
As always, anything with Crit/Hit and Spell Power is up for grabs. The Gloves, though has Haste and Spell Power, I would grab if no healers wanted it. It has a… realy “Healy” name for the gloves, and it wouldn’t feel right if I took that over a Healer.
The Spirit Trinket, is something not for us Mages, but I kind of want to get one to see how much crit rating I can get with Molten Armor. The reduced Mana cost is nice to have too.
[Image and General Strategy used was taken from WoWHead.com]