“Razorscale is the third boss encounter in Ulduar. It is an Ironbound proto-drake that flies over the Razorscale’s Aerie, across from the Colossal Forge.” – WoWWiki.com
Although she is considered the third boss by many players, attempts can be made on Razorscale anytime after The Flame Leviathan has been defeated. Both Normal and Heroic modes strategies are the same, with the exception of taking more damage in Heroic mode. Also in Heroic mode, you need to fire off 4 Harpoons as apposed to Normal mode’s 2 Harpoons to cause her to land.
- Hit Points – 3,900,000 (normal), 12,550,000 (heroic)
- Enrage Timers – Phase 1: 5 Minutes, Phase 2: 5 Minutes
- Devouring Flame: Spits a Lava Bomb at an enemy, inflicting 6938 to 8062 Fire damage.
- Fireball: Inflicts fire damage to an enemy. Deals 11,000-12,000 fire damage.
- Wing Buffet: Knocks back enemies in 35 yards radius around the caster.
- Flame Breath Inflicts 13125 to 16875 Fire damage to players in a cone in front of the caster. It is a 2.5 second cast.
- Berserk: Increases the caster’s attack speed by 150% and all damage it deals by 900% for 30 min.
- [Flask of the Frost Wyrm]
- Spell Damage food of your choice or Feast
This is a pretty simple fight, with a bit of target switching involved. You would want any consumables which may help your DPS.
Frost Mage Overview:
- Pet Friendly: Moderate
- Cooldowns: No need to save your Ice Block and Cold Snap cooldowns
You need to make sure to move your pet out of any fire on the ground, and keep pet away from the front of the boss.
Phase 1: Alternating Air/Ground
While Razorscale is in the air, she cannot be attacked, but can still attack. She won’t have any aggro and will shoot random players, so be prepared to move out of fires, and keep Fire Ward up as much as possible. Instead Dark Iron Dwarves will spawn, and you will need to keep them off the NPCs and kill them. After the tanks round up the mobs, start laying out some Blizzards. If you have Improved Blizzard w/ Frostbite, it makes this part extra easy.
The NPCs will be repairing the Harpoon guns in the area. Once it is repaired, it may be fired at Razorscale by simply clicking on it. After shooting off 2 Harpoons (4 for Heroic), Razorscale will be pinned down to the ground. Finish up killing any left over mobs, and make sure you are not standing anywhere in front of her, and DPS away. There is no aggro still during this part.
After a few moments, she will do frontal cone Flame Breath, use Wing Buffet, and free herself from the Harpoons. She will be in the air again, and this phase repeats. Usually if she is not at 50% after pinning her to the ground 3 times, she will hit the enrage timer and wipe the raid.
Phase 2: Permanent Ground
When Razorscale hits 50%, she will land on the ground, and will need to be picked up by tanks. Make sure she is tanked facing away from the raid, and it will pretty much be a tank and spank fight. You will still need to avoid any flames on the ground, and she still does the occasional Wing Buffet. Other than that, just go all out DPS. You have around 5 minutes do kill her before she enrages.
- [Eye of the Broodmother]
- [Binding of the Dragon Matriarch]
- [Shackles of the Odalisque] (heroic)
- [Living Flame] (heroic)
- [Collar of the Wyrmhunter] (heroic)
2 more awesome Trinkets to add to your collection, drops from this boss. The Helm looks like the BiS for Mages, as it is better than the Tier 8.5 Helm, but retains the same look.
[Image and General Strategy used was taken from WoWHead.com]